2013-08-01: Bradley Manning Not Guilty of Aiding the Enemy;
2013-08-02: Detroit Firefighters speak out on Bankruptcy;
2013-08-03: XKeyscore: Instrument of Mass Surveillance;
2013-08-04: When we were Woodstock (4);
2013-08-05: The death penalty: Strike less hard;
2013-08-05: Geld – Wasser – Zukunft;
2013-08-06: Remembering Iraq: The Sanctions Genocide;
2013-08-06: HARTZ IV;
2013-08-07: Ergenekon Verdicts: Erdogan Silences Dissent in Divided Turkey;
2013-08-08: Greenwald claims up to 20,000 Snowden documents are in his possession;
2013-08-09: Crop Circles;
2013-08-11: Get to Work;
2013-08-12: found on YouTube by key words Vatikan Mafia;
2013-08-13: Reality Asserts Itself;
2013-08-14: Women’s Lives in a Changing Delhi;
2013-08-15: Dayamani Barla In Her Own Words;
2013-08-16: Egypt: Operation Anti Sexual Harassment OpAntiSh;
2013-08-17: Bruno Mars;
2013-08-18: M, F or Blank: ‘Third Gender’ Official in Germany from November;
2013-08-19: Noam Chomsky;
2013-08-20: Namibia and the Economic Partnership Agreement;
2013-08-21: Bruce Fein: A bad penny that is always turning up;
2013-08-22: economy, investors, money …;
2013-08-23: Manning refused to plead guilty in exchange for lesser sentence;
2013-08-23: Kein Knebelgesetz für Afghanistans Frauen;
2013-08-24: Larry Summers and the Secret End-Game Memo;
2013-08-25: Photo Gallery: Christian churches in Egypt under worst attack in years;
2013-08-26: The Greatest Truth Never Told;
2013-08-27: U.S. spied on UN – German weekly;
2013-08-28: A Black, Working Class March on Washington;
2013-08-29: Public Intellectual Project;
2013-08-30: Lebanon’s angst (anxiety) as war against Syria looms;
2013-08-31: Video: Trade & Investment Rules Facilitating What, For Whom?
Archive for August, 2013
2013-08-01: Bradley Manning Not Guilty of Aiding the Enemy;
Published on The Real-News Network TRNN, 9.37 min;
Lynn Fries interviews Vijay Prashad, August 29, 2013: Allowing big firms to enter your country to modernize agriculture is very dangerous because essentially you are losing sovereignty over your food. Part 3 of 4.
(also on YouTube, uploaded there by the TheRealNews channel).
(Welcome to our new blog: politics for the 99%).
… WMR’s sources report that Bandar, CIA director John Brennan, Turkish MIT intelligence director Hakan Fidan, and Mossad chief Tamir Pardo have coordinated “false flag” terrorist operations in Lebanon designed to involve Lebanon in the Syrian conflict. The goal is that any U.S., NATO, and ersatz “coalition” forces attacking President Bashar al Assad’s government in Syria would be given a green light to attack Hezbollah forces in Lebanon as part of an operation to topple the current Lebanese government and purge pro-Syrian and Hezbollah elements from its ranks … (full text).
Within the last few decades, the emergence of public intellectuals as important cultural and social critics has raised fundamental questions not only about the social function of academics, but also about the connection between higher education and public life, between academic work and the major issues shaping the broader society. Truthout’s Public Intellectual Project will provide progressive academics with an opportunity to address a number of important social issues in a language that is both rigorous and accessible. All too often, academics produce work that is either too abstract for a generally informed public, or they separate their scholarship from the myriad of issues and contemporary problems that shape everyday life in the United States and abroad … //
… Articles by Henry A. Gigoux: Articles by Other Authors in the Public Intellectual Project: … (full long list of names and links).
The Fiftieth Anniversary March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom on August 24 was a mostly African American working class event of tens of thousands. They came to celebrate the struggles and victories of a half century ago and to put on the agenda for today the issues of racial profiling and stand-your-ground laws, the country’s unemployment rate and growing economic inequality, and new restrictions on voting rights. Some of those on the dais before the magnificent Lincoln Monument, like Representative John Lewis, had spoken there in 1963, while others like Newark Mayor and New Jersey Senate candidate Cory Booker were, as he said, not even born then. Where fifty years ago the civil rights leaders had come to implore the Democratic Party politicians, at this march the Democratic Party politicians came to try to mobilize politically—and immobilize socially—their ever more discontented if still incredibly loyal base … // … (full text and photos).
U.S. intelligence agency tapped the headquarter of the United Nations in New York, reported German weekly Der Spiegel on Sunday, citing secret documents. The magazine saidthat by analysing documents from former intelligence contractor Edward Snowden it found American National Security Agency penetrated the internal video conference system of the UN and cracked its encryption last summer. This led to “a dramatic improvement of data on video conferencing and the ability to decrypt that data” for NSA, according to the documents. Within three weeks, the number of decrypted communications had risen from 12 to 458 … //
… (full text and links to related news articles).
- the interior of a burned and destroyed Coptic Christian church in Minya province, Egypt, on Russia Today RT, August 22, 2013. Fifty places of worship were looted and torched in just three days following the dispersal of Muslim Brotherhood camps;
- Egypt: Mass Attacks on Churches, 3.37 min, uploaded by HumanRightsWatch, August 21, 2013;
- Increased Attacks on Christians in Egypt, 8.03 min, (… America Live, 8-20-13), uploaded by RightSightings, August 20, 2013;
- Egyptian Christians Return To Worship In Destroyed Church, 3.48 min, uploaded by ViralMedia24, August 19, 2013.
… Bankers Go Bananas: Why in the world would any nation agree to let its banking system be boarded and seized by financial pirates like JP Morgan?
The answer, in the case of Ecuador, was bananas. Ecuador was truly a banana republic. The yellow fruit was that nation’s life-and-death source of hard currency. If it refused to sign the new FSA, Ecuador could feed its bananas to the monkeys and go back into bankruptcy. Ecuador signed.
And so on–with every single nation bullied into signing … //
… (full text inclusive interesting hyper-links).
Link: Larry Summers vs. Congress, women, academia and everyone else, on The Wasgington Times/Communities, by Tiffany Shorter, August 22, 2013.
Auf AVAAZ.org (die Welt in Aktion) gefunden:
Im Alter von 12 Jahren wurde Sahar Gul verkauft und zwangsverheiratet. Fortan lebte sie in einem Haus des Schreckens … // … Petition an die Mitglieder des Oberhauses der Afghanischen Nationalversammlung und den Vorsitzenden des Gesetzgebungsausschusses, Malawi Ghulam Muhiuddin Monsef unterzeichnen … (ganzer Text).
Bradley Manning was offered and refused a deal from US military prosecutors that would have seen him serve a shorter sentence than the 35 years he was given Wednesday in exchange for a guilty plea. Manning’s lead defense attorney, David Coombs, announced during a press conference that an offer was previously on the table. “Part of that would be to cooperate in testifying, so obviously we didn’t do that,” he said. He refused to elaborate any further, citing a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) with government prosecutors … (full text).
Evergreen-Links: The video which Bradley Manning released to wikileaks, the reason for his imprisonnement, short version, 1.41 min, long vesion, 39.14 min; – Bradley Manning Heads for Trial – No One Charged for Murdered Civilians, 15.55 min, on TRNN, December 15, 2011.
- 5 companies that make money by keeping Americans terrified of terror attacks, on ZNet (first on AlterNet), by Alex Kane, August 19, 2013: Michael Hayden, the former director of the National Security Agency, has invaded America’s television sets in recent weeks to warn about Edward Snowden’s leaks and the continuing terrorist threat to America.
- Investors Nervous: Erdogan’s Witch Hunt Endangers Economy, on Spiegel Online International, by Özlem Gezer and Maximilian Popp, August 20, 2013 (Photo Gallery): Turkish Prime Minister Recep Erdogan has begun scouring the financial industry for scapegoats to blame for the political unrest in his country,, …;
- Private Money: Bitcoins Gain Ground in Germany, on Spiegel Online International, by cgh, August 20, 2013: The value of bitcoins has become widely accepted. The virtual, Internet-based currency can currently be traded in for about $120 each …;
- Book: An inquiry into the wealth and size of households, Friesland, 1749, on Real-World Economics Review Blog, by merijnknibbe, August 20, 2013.
(Linked with our new blog: politics for the 99%).
The many hats of Washington’s favorite rat: lobbyist, presidential campaign advisor, snitch, attorney, civil-rights activist … you name it – Published on Intrepid Report, by Sibel Edmonds, August 20, 2013. (Linked with our new blog: politics for the 99% (Frontpage), and it’s new post: Not Too Big to Jail).
In a recent disclosure to the Huffington Post, NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden said the media have been “misled” by associates of his father, attorney and lobbyist Bruce Fein and his wife Mattie Fein who have been circulating “false” claims about his situation … (full text).
Published on Pammbazuka News, by Henning Melber, August 14, 2013:
Namibia’s principled refusal to get bullied into an agreement against what it considered its own best interests has served as an example for other countries originally more willing to give in to the pressure exerted by EU: The Economic Partnership Agreements (EPAs) have been negotiated for just over a decade between the EU and the ACP countries without satisfactory results. Most of the ACP countries have refused to enter or implement the agreements … (full text).
Published on Spiegel Online International, by Friederike Heine, August 16, 2013.
Germany is set to become the first country in Europe to introduce a third, “indeterminate” gender designation on birth certificates. The European Union, which is attempting to coordinate anti-discrimination efforts across member states, is lagging behind on the issue … //
… “Germany’s move will put more pressure on Brussels,” Agius concludes. “That can only be a good thing.”
- It Will Rain, 3.02 min, uploaded by Tony B, Jan 12, 2012;
- Young Girls, Lyrics, 4.03 min, uploaded by HeyltzVikki, Nov 8, 2012;
- Moonshine (Official Lyrics), 3.41 min, uploaded by The Zou Zou, Dec 25, 2012;
- When I Was Your Man [Official Lyrics], 3.38 min, uploaded by The Zou Zou, Dec 24, 2012
- Natalie (Lyrics) HD, 3.53 min, uploaded by Stephanie G, Dec 25, 2012;
- Performance, 4.32 min, uploaded by TheJukez11, Feb 12, 2012.
- on en.wikipedia … is an activist group based in Cairo, Egypt whose goal is to prevent sexual harassment and assault. The group is known for intervening in assaults by mobs in Cairo’s Tahrir Square during protests and is one of several that have begun to organize against sexual harassment of women in Tahrir since the 2011 Egyptian revolution …;
- on Facebook: in english as Op Anti-Sexual Harassment/Assault / in arabic as قوة ضد التحرش/الإعتداء الجنسي الجماعي / in expanol as Las agresiones sexuales colectivas denunciadas …;
- on Google Web-Search; on Google News-search; on Google Images-search;
- and on YouTube.
See also AlJazeera Life Stream.
watch this video, 32.05 min, uploaded by NewsClickin, July 25, 2013: The Centre for Women’s Development Studies and the India International Centre in collaboration are organising a series of interactive conversations towards documenting Social History. In the first episode, Dr Kavita A. Sharma, Director of the IIC and former principal of Hindu College and Kamlesh Jacob, former principal of Queen Mary’s School speak about the education of girls back then …;
uploaded on YouTube by TheRealNews, August 2013:
- Part 1 of 4, 19.25 min, Vijay Prashad: Marx and Tolstoy Helped Me See the Limits of Liberalism;
- Part 2 of 4, 26.44 min, Questioning the Underlying Structures of Property and Power is Off the Table;
- Part 3 of 4, 14.03 min, Bradley Manning, the Nuremberg Charter and Refusing to Collaborate with War Crimes;
- Part 4 of 4, 17.06 min, International Law and The Responsibility to Protect.
Reflections on Class, Capitalism, and Purposeful Activity – Published on ZNet, by Paul Street, August 09, 2013.
… No, when rightists and others say those unwilling to work shall not eat, they mean that working class folks should earn their keep by subordinating themselves to employers. They mean that workers should give over their distinctive human capacity for intelligent and planned work to the external and supposedly higher authority of capital, granting it also the privilege of controlling and dividing the surplus generated by that work. They have no problem with the elite business class’s enjoyment of massive public subsidy and protection (corporate welfare) obtained through the legalized bribery of campaign finance (and many other forms of big money influence) or with the ubiquitous and giant upward transfer of value from employees to employers that is central to the profits system … (full long article).
- What On Earth Will It Take? 132.03 min, (Official Movie), uploaded by ThriveMovement (see there the THRIVE Movie in 24 Languages, 10 overdubbed, 16 subtitled), April 5, 2012;
- About ‘Thrive’ the Movie, Its Critics and What Can Be Done to Stop the Conspiracy: Exclusive Interview with Foster Gamble, on The Daily Bell, by Anthony Wile, March 4, 2012;
- Linked with Free energy has arrived.
- Crossover From Another Dimension (2006).avi, 76.01 min, uploaded by Neocharm, April 6, 2012;
- Kornkreise entschlüsselt, 14.58 min, von GermanLetsWakeUp am 3. Oktober 2011 hochgeladen;
- Thrive – Crop Circles are Clues to New Energy Technology, 33.09 min, uploaded by AlienPeace1, Dec 15, 2012;
- ufo forming crop circle best video, 5.17 min, uploaded by Tanvir Ahmed, May 1, 2008;
- The two most important crop circles ever – No joke, 3.52 min, uploaded by cheapshot2020, May 9, 2007;
- The YouTube channel Cercle de Culture (about Crop Circles from different sources).
Published on Russia Today RT, August 7, 2013.
… “The pretext [given by Washington] for the spying is only one thing: terrorism and the need to protect the [American] people. But the reality is that there are many documents which have nothing to do with terrorism or national security, but have to do with competition with other countries, in the business, industrial and economic fields,” Greenwald said on Tuesday … //
… (full text).
Published on Spiegel Online International, by Hasnain Kazim in Istanbul, August 05, 2013 (Photo Gallery): A Turkish court on Monday announced verdicts and long prison sentences for dozens of defendants in the so-called ‘Ergenekon’ plot to overthrow the government. The rulings expose how uncertain and divided the country is … (full text).
- 15.04.2013 HARTZ IV – GEWOLLTE ARMUT? MIT INGE HANNEMANN, 97.28 min, von videoatonale am 17. April 2013 hochgeladen;
- Prof. Dr. Bontrup: Die Finanzkrise richtig verstehen, 133.29 min, von antikrieg TV am 22. Januar 2013 hochgeladen;
- Wie Hartz IV: Empfänger zu kostenloser Arbeit gezwungen werden, 7.16 min, von Schnitzel39 am 8. Mai 2009 hochgeladen.
The sanctions imposed on Iraq from 1990 to 2003 were perhaps the biggest crime of the post-WWII period, “one of the great man-made disasters of the last half-century,” writes journalist Patrick Cockburn, one of the few to brave beyond the US-imposed “Green Zone”.  “The sanctions effectively denied an entire population the means to live,” acknowledged British diplomat, Carne Ross, one of those responsible for implementing them  … (full text).
von VivalaVidaNet hochgeladen:
- Geld regiert die Welt … Wer regiert aber eigentlich das Geld?, 10.08 min, am 27. Juli 2013 hochgeladen;
- Wem gehört das Wasser – Nestlé ausser Kontrolle, 8.33 min, am 22. Juli 2013 hochgeladen;
- Andreas Popp: Der Tag X rückt unaufhaltsam näher, 17.21 min, am 14. Juni 2013 hochgeladen.